The RuntimeBroker.exe in Windows 10 manages permission for applications we download from the Windows Store. It works fine on our computer but when dealing with a faulty program, it can show 100% CPU usage at times. You don’t have to worry about the RuntimeBroker.exe 100% CPU error anymore. In this post, I am going to give you some comprehensive solutions that you should learn.
Easy Ways to Kill RuntimeBroker.exe 100% CPU Error
When the RuntimeBroker high disk usage error appears, your Windows performance begins to degrade. To find out the status of the run time broker from your task manager, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together. And the simplest of ways to resolve the problem is to terminate the process. Here’s how you can do it-
- Open your Task Manager and visit the Processes window
- There are some processes running in the list, find out Runtime Broker among them
- When found, right-click on it and click on End task
- When the process is over, reboot your computer.
This method only works temporarily in some cases. And if after the reboot high disk usage error comes again, follow the next method.
Disable the“Show me tips about Windows” Option in Windows 10
Many Windows users have explained that disabling the “Show me tips about Windows” resolves the runtime broker issue. It drops the high CPU usages instantly and protects your PC from getting heat up again. Here is what you can do to disable the “Show me tips about Windows” option.
- Open Settings on your computer
- Then click on System and go to Notifications from the left sidebar
- Toggle the “Show me tips about Windows” option off
- Reboot your computer
After rebooting your system, open Task Manager again and see if it still consumes CPU. If it still does, move on to the next process.
Disable the “Updates from more than one place” Option
Sometimes “Updates from more than one place” removes the runtime broker high disk usage error from Windows 10. Follow the steps mentioned below to help yourself in the process.
- Open Settings on your computer
- Locate the Update and Security option
- And then, click on the Advanced options
- Click on the Choose how updates are delivered option
- Toggle off the option that reads “Updates from more than one place”
After then, reboot your computer and check if the Runtime Broker CPU usage has been dropped or not. If not, try out the next method-
Disable Background Applications
If the above methods didn’t work for you then maybe this one shall. Disable the background applications from your settings window and this will loosen the load from CPU. Here go the steps-
- Open the Settings window
- And go to Privacy settings
- Search for the Background apps from the left pane of the Window
- Now toggle off all the running applications you can see
Now open your task manager again and see if the error still persists or not. If the error is still there, try out the next method.
Update your Windows
If none of the above-mentioned solutions worked, then try to install all the available Windows updates. Microsoft’s developer team constantly works on creating Windows updates. So, updating your system can simply resolve the error for you. Here is how you do it-
- Click on Start
- And then search for Updates
- When the Windows Update option pops up, click on Install Updates
- If there is any new update available, your system will install them quickly
If this too does not resolve the problem, time to find the next available solution.
Clean Up Your System Junk Files
We use our system frequently and it creates and saves so many junk files. Of you don’t clean up your computer regularly, this can trigger CPU problems and decreases your computer’s performance. Cleaning up your system’s junk files can also speed up your system performance. So, you need to download and install an ideal disk clean up tool. Then, below are the steps you can follow-
- Open your Start menu
- In the search bar, type “Command” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously
- Now a dialogue box will appear that will ask for your permission. Click on Yes
- Now a black box will appear and it will have a blinking cursor
- Type “cleanmgr” inside the box and hit Enter
- Now the Disk Cleaner tool will analyze your computer’s disk space and calculate how much you can free up
- Now the application will show you a list of checkboxes and among them, the “Temporary Files” folder consists occupied space mostly
- Then select all the category of boxes you want to clean
- Click OK
- The Disk Cleanup will then clean up all the files and you shall not encounter the runtime broker CPU usage problem anymore.
If Runtime Broker uses too much of your disk resources then you should stop it to save your PC’s performance. And in many cases, the Runtime Broker error comes up due to corrupted system files. And that can lead to system performance issues. Also, it can be a virus that is hampering your system performance. In that case, resolve it quickly to avoid more future damage.
You can use any of the methods given in this post in order to get rid of the runtime broker high CPU usage error in Windows 10.