The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a critical Windows feature that can cause high CPU usage error is not being used properly. While you are wondering what this feature is and how it works on your system, let’s read this post to find out.
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry? How Does it Work?
The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a Windows feature that sends your system data to the Windows development team on a regular basis. The main purpose of doing this is to recognize your Windows bugs and performance so that the team can fix it. Some users think that this telemetry thing is spying on us. But Microsoft has clearly stated that they only collect data to speed up your system performance. And we are going to talk about all that Microsoft Compatibility does with your system, in this post.
Types of Data MCT Collects
If you are worried that Microsoft is ruining your privacy, here are the things you need to know about what types of data Microsoft collects with this development tool-
- Telemetry send texts from your keyboard
- Everything you say to Cortana, the Windows Live Assistance, telemetry transcribe those things and send them to the developer’s team
- It scripts a list of multimedia files in your computer to the developer’s team
- When you use the Webcam for the first time, this tool sends data of sized 35 MB to the Microsoft developer team
- The telemetry tool also collects details about your device drivers
Telemetry sends the data to MS developer team and it also stores all the data to your computer. And during the process, it causes a high disk usage issue.
Types of Data MCT Does Not Collect
The Microsoft telemetry tool collects the data mentioned above but it does not collect the data mentioned below.
- Your device’s geographical location
- Your search history you have on Bing
- Wallpapers you set on your Windows 10 desktop
Why Does Windows 10 Come with Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
There are some reasons why Microsoft has decided to deploy the tool in Windows 10. Here are the reasons:
- Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collects and sends data to Microsoft to improve your system security
- Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry also plays a part in improving your system performance and saves you from virus attacks
- It upgrades your Windows OS as per your preference
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is helpful and needed. But users can any time turn off its functions and turn it on when needed.
Simple Ways to Fix High Disk Usage Caused by Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Since it takes a lot of disk space, you are maybe thinking about disabling it. Also, if you are worried about your privacy, you can remove Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from your system. Here I have given some tips and solutions to help you disable or remove the Windows tool.
Use CMD to Disable Telemetry
In Windows 10, you can use the Command prompt option to disable Microsoft telemetry. Here are the steps-
- Press the Windows logo key and R together
- The Run box will open up
- Type cmd in the blank space
- And press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER together
- After than, copy and paste the following command in the window:
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add
“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
If the upper-mentioned method does not help, try this one.
- Login with the admin rights or sign in from a user account on the computer
- Then open the Run box by pressing Win+ R together
- In the blank space, type ‘CompatTellRunner.exe’ and click OK or press Enter
- Right-click on CompatTellRunner.exe and open its properties
- In the Properties box, click on the Security tab and click Advanced settings from the bottom
- Find the Owner tab from the top of the new window that appears
- Click on Edit
- Click on Administrators, click Apply
- Then click on OK to save changes
- Close the properties window and click OK
- Right-click on Capattelrunner.exe in the System32 folder
- Go to its properties and open Advanced tab
- Select your Administrator account
- Click on Allow next to Full Control
- This will grant all your permissions related to the file that will help you delete the file
- Go back to System32 folder, delete CompatTelRunner.exe
- This process will turn off telemetry
- Then Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking on the recycle bin icon
This is all you have to do to delete the CompatTelRunner.exe file from your Windows 10 computer. And after the process, the high disk usage problem won’t bother you anymore. If this method does not work, let’s try the next one from the section below.
Disable Compatteltunner.exe On Task Manager
If you disable Compatteltunner.exe from your task manager, it won’t mess with your privacy or disk space. So, below I have given steps that will help you disable the Windows feature manually.
- Hold the Windows Key and R together and open your Run box
- Type taskschd.msc in the empty field and click OK or hit Enter
- A new window will appear where you will have to locate Task Scheduler Library
- Click and expand the view and you will find the Microsoft folder.
- A Windows folder will be visible to you after that and you will have to expand it as well
- Click on Application Experience folder and when the next window opens up, you will find some tasks
- Right-click on Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and disable it to turn off Telemetry
- After you are done, restart your computer.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry works on its own but if you think it is troubling you a lot lately, you can just turn it off following these steps. If you need further assistance, drop us a comment below.