Sometimes users encounter the Err_Connection_Reset Google Chrome error while trying to access a website. The error is common and can occur anytime in certain situations. In this post, we are going to give you some helpful tips and solutions to get rid of this Google Chrome error.
What is the Meaning of Err_Connection_Reset?
Google Chrome sometimes throws the Err_Connection_Reset error message. Depending upon the causes of the error, Chrome displays different error messages on your monitor. Here are the error messages that often come up as a result of Err_Connection_Reset.
- Your connection was interrupted
- Failed to Resolve Host
- Aw! Snap
- This site can’t be reached the connection was reset
All these error messages belong to the same category but there are various reasons why these messages come up sometimes.
Reasons Why the Err_Connection_Reset Error Comes Up
When Chrome displays this error, it resets TCP/IP connection after you request for it to connect to the network. Some of the reasons why this error occurs are as follow-
Due to Damaged or Outdated Network Drivers
A faulty network driver can affect the TCP/IP packet and when the checksum routines encounter a faulty driver, it requests a new packet. And when the new packet arrives your network driver does not assemble it properly again. So the server keeps on sending the TCP/IP packet and checksum routines keep on sending the request. After reaching the cap, it stops sending requests and your browser displays the error.
Problems with your Router
If you are dealing with a faulty router, it can be the reason why Chrome is displaying the connection error message. When your router interferes with the connection, it corrupts the TCP/IP packets. So in that case, Chrome will try to re-establish the connection but when it fails, it shows the connection reset error.
Your Computer Has Disabled Internet Connection
Maybe without you knowing your computer has a disabled internet connection. And that’s why your Chrome browser keeps on showing the same error message again and again.
Your Firewall/ISP Won’t Let You Access a Certain Website
If your Firewall/ISP has blocked a certain website, every time you try to reach it, it will show the Err_Connection_Reset error. Sometimes it also shows that “your connection was interrupted.” For example, you are seeing the “your connection was interrupted” message on YouTube. That means your firewall has blocked YouTube or certain websites on YouTube and that’s why you are encountering the error message.
You are using a VPN and it is the reason behind the problem
VPN changes your internet traffic server and switches it to a different location. So, it hides your original geographical location and IP address. That can be the reason why you are encountering connection problems on your computer. Since VPN takes control of your TCP/IP settings, if there is a configuration problem with the VPN app, you can possibly see the connection error message.
Fix Err_Connection_Reset Error in Easy Steps
You don’t have to change your browser just because you are encountering this error . There are other workarounds available that can fix the problem for you. I have explained the possible methods below that may help in this context.
Advice: Before you jump into the solution methods, you can try the following solutions to make sure your connection is safe.
- Firstly, restart your wifi router
- Then try to visit other websites and make sure your internet connection fine or not
- Also, if you have another device no matter what OS it has, use that to visit the website you’ve been trying to reach
- This will make sure whether or not the site you are trying to visit has been blocked by your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
- In case you have turned on your VPN connection, then turn it off temporarily.
- If you have turned on your Firewall, temporarily disable it.
Change Your Proxy Settings
Changing the Proxy Settings of your computer works 99% of the time. To resolve the connection reset problem, you can perform this method. But you cannot do it with Chrome because it does not have the proxy/sock feature. It uses your computer’s default proxy settings and if you make changes to that, it will automatically apply to your Chrome browser. Moreover, this method won’t work on Firefox because Firefox has its own proxy/sock handler. Here are the steps you need to follow-
- Open your Control Panel
- And click on Internet Option
- Then click on the Connections tab and go to LAN settings
- Then uncheck the options available on the final page
- And click OK
In most cases, this solves the problem. But if it does not, move on to the next method.
This solution works for Windows users too and it involves typing a simple command on the command prompt window. The method will reset Winsock, resolve any configuration error, and works most of the time.
- To open the Run box, press Win+R together
- Or you can also hit the Start button and select All Programs
- Type “cmd.exe” in the search box and hit Enter
- And in the command prompt box, type netsh winsock reset catalog
- Restart your computer and the problem should go.
This method works most of the time. But even if it does not work, don’t worry. We have a few more resolutions for the same.
Disable Your Antivirus Program or Firewall
When your antivirus restricts you from entering into a site, you better respect it. Maybe that site has a bad reputation or infected with malware that’s why your Firewall or antivirus does not want you to visit there.
However, in some cases, this can be just a false alarm. And you can disable your antivirus or firewall app to visit that particular site. Also, make sure you haven’t blocked a certain site on your firewall settings. Go to your firewall settings and check out the list of blocked sites from there.
If you trust the website you want to visit, you can disable your antivirus temporarily. And after you are done, turn it on again. Disabling your antivirus for a long time can leave your PC vulnerable to malicious threats.
Fix Windows Registry
Due to the corrupt Windows registry, you can encounter the“Your connection was interrupted” problem. So, here are the steps to help you fix the problem-
- Download CCleaner or a similar tool on your computer
- Install the tool
- And scan your computer with it
If there is a registry problem present on your computer, the software will fix it for you.
Connect to the Internet with VPN
Maybe your internet service provider has blocked the website and that’s the reason why you are unable to visit the site. In this case, the solution will be to use a free or paid VPN to open the site. The full form of VPN is Virtual Private Network that modifies your IP address and network connection so that you can privately browse the internet from a different country. If you don’t want to install a VPN, then you can use the Opera Browser that already comes with an in-built VPN feature. It will help you mask your IP address that would look like you are browsing from a different country. Here is how you can turn on VPN from Opera-
- Launch Opera browser and go to its menu then click on Settings
- Go to Advanced and click on Features
- Then drag down the Enable VPN option and click on the switch to turn it on
- After that, restart Opera
That’s all you can do in Opera to use its free VPN service. If you don’t use the Opera browser, you can use the free VPN service Tunnel Bear. I have been using it for a few months now and it has been great so far. It is fast, secure, and provides a smooth connection even while you are using the free edition.
Reset Chrome Settings to its Default
If none of the above-mentioned solutions worked, you can try to reset your Chrome’s default installed settings. Here is how you do it-
- Click Chrome’s menu icon (the three horizontal lines) at the top-right corner and click on Settings
- In the Settings menu, reach down and click on Show Advanced Settings
- Reach the end of the page and click on Restore settings to their original defaults
- Then click on Reset Settings
- Finally, restart Chrome.
How to reset internet connection?
- To ensure your connection is okay, disconnect the power cord of your modem. The lights will go off that indicates you have disconnected the device successfully.
- Then plug the cord back into the modem
- Now wait and the lights will go green
- Again, try to connect to the internet
Is there a problem with resetting the network settings?
Of course, it is okay and it won’t have any effect on your iCloud Keychain passcode listing of the website. But this will reset your router password, network, VPN, APN, cellular settings, and all that you have set before.
What is Err_connection_reset?
A: This is an error that pops up when the site you are visiting and the termination site are not able to establish connection.
How do I reset my connection?
A: List of checks that can be done to reset your connection:
Firewall settings, Does your Chrome browser need an update to be done, Internet access and Vpn connection,
Or, apply on of these methods:
- Disable and enable Antivirus and Real-Time protection
- Make changes in MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit)
- LAN settings→ Change the Proxy Server
What causes Err_connection_reset?
A: Every time the traffic increases to a high amount, the site you are connected to resets the connection and hence asks you to do the same.
Why am I getting your connection is not private message?
A: If this message pops up, it is a way Google Chrome is preventing you from accessing unsafe or non-trustworthy websites.
How do I fix my blocked Internet connection on Google Chrome?
A:Try unplugging your Router and plug it in again or turn on and off the Antivirus and Firewall software.
Why is my firewall blocking Google Chrome?
A: Uninstall VPN software : Open RUN → Win+X menu→ In OPEN BOX ,Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ → Click OK.
How do I get rid of SSL connection error?
A: Listing below a few alternative options:
- Adjust The Time And Date.
- Tweak Your Browser.
- Reinstall the SSL Certificate.
- Fix Mixed Content Errors.
- Enforce SSL Connection.
- Scan Your System For Malware.
- Eliminate Malware using Malwarebytes.
- Disable Antivirus/Firewall.
So, follow these instructions to get rid of the Err_Connection_Reset Google Chrome error easily. If you have another solution process to perform, let us know in the comment box below.