What is wrong with this video game? Why can’t I open it? When will this error stop appearing? All these questions come to your mind when the “application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware error” comes up. Right, the error is irritating and time-consuming. But there are some quick ways you can get rid of this error message. Yeah, of course, I will tell you the solutions. But before that, let’s find out some details about this error.
What Do You Know About The “Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware” Error?
It is an error message that appears in Windows 10 computers basically when you are trying to play a video game. Not only while playing a video game though, but this error can also occur when you are trying to open a browser. Due to faulty or outdated drivers, users mostly encounter this error. Another common reason behind it can be too many visual effects or programs running in the background of your computer. Hence, if the error is about faulty or outdated drivers, you can resolve it by updating your drivers. To locate the faulty drivers, you can run the System File Checker on your system.
How to Resolve the “Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware” Error?
There are a few fantastic ways you can resolve the graphics card failure alert on your Windows computer. When you are trying to launch a video game and this issue occurs, it will be better to go with these solutions. Don’t rush and call a professional yet because they can charge a lot of money for a simple issue. Instead, try out the methods I have given on this post instead.
Reinstall the Intel Graphics Card Driver
If your PC comes with the Intel graphics card and you are encountering this error, it is better to reinstall the drivers. Visit the official page of the Intel Graphics driver for Windows 10. The driver comes in two formats. You can either select the installable .exe file or download a .zip file. According to your choice, I have mentioned both of the processes below.
- Go to your Device Manager window by clicking on Windows + X
- In the Device Manager tab, expand the “Display adapters” option and right-click on the in-chip graphics card or “Intel® HD Graphics 4600“
- Choose “Uninstall” and check the box next to “Delete the driver software for this device”
- Then go to the installable file you have downloaded earlier
- Then set up a new driver for your built-in-chip Intel graphics card
- Restart your computer after the process
To help you out, I have demonstrated the whole process in the screenshots below.
Use Compressed File
- Open your device manager once again
- Expand “Display adapters” once again
- Right-click on Intel Graphics and select “Update Driver Software…”
- Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Select the folder where you have extracted the .zip files on Intel graphics
- Then click Next and install the driver
- After reinstalling, restart your Windows computer
Use Windows Register Editor
If the given method above didn’t work in your case, then you can use the Windows registry editor. Then adjust the TdrDela entry in the Timeout Detection and Recovery. Increasing this value will help you increase the processing time of your graphics card. And eventually, you will be able to get rid of the Application Has Been Blocked From Accessing Graphics Hardware error. To do it, follow the steps below-
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R and type Regedit in the run box
- The Registry Editor will open in your Pc
- On the left panel, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> GraphicsDrivers
- Here, create a new DWORD (32-bit) entry with TdrDelay name
- Double-click on it and set the value to 8
- Click OK to save the changes and restart your computer
Run a System File Checker
Sometimes due to corrupt and missing company files of your graphics card, this error comes up. So, you can run a System File Checker or a DISM tool to get rid of the error message. This will scan your PC for corrupted and missing files and replace them with the right ones. You can do this from your command prompt window. Let’s follow the instructions below.
- Press Windows + X and the command prompt window will open
- Type sfc /scannow in the window and hit Enter
- Wait for some time while your command prompt scans and replaces missing files
- After done, enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth to run the DISM tool
- Then type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to replace corrupt files
After the process, reboot your computer and see if the method worked or not. If the process works, you won’t see the Application Has Been Blocked From Accessing Graphics Hardware error anymore. But if this does not help, then follow another process mentioned below.
Run Hardware And Devices Troubleshooter
This does not resolve all the problems with Windows. But still, a helpful method if the issue is with your computer. Go to settings and type troubleshoot and select the option.
- Locate “Hardware and Devices” under “Find and fix other problems”
- Select “Run the troubleshooter”
This method is simple and fast, you don’t even need much time in hand to perform these steps. The only thing you need to do is keeping patience and let your Windows do the troubleshooting job. You can also uses a third-party software that will help you figure out your hardware problems. Fortunately, these applications also fix the problems automatically.
You can use DriverEasy professional online tool which is available for free. Visit their official website and download and install the tool on your computer. Then launch the application and scan your PC with it.
All these methods generally help to remove the application that has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware in Windows 10. However, if you are still facing the same error, let us know in the comment box below so that we can help.