Are you bored with the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download error on your Google Chrome browser? This error mostly pops up when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime videos in your browser. And to be honest, this can be painful for a non-tech-savvy person to solve.
Though this Google Chrome feature helps you play DRM-protected HTML5 audio and videos, issues like Widevine Content Decryption Module Download errors can appear anytime. However, since you are already on our page, I will show you how to eliminate the error quickly. So, read on and find solutions.
- What is the Widevine Content Decryption Module?
- What are the Reasons You the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error
- Is the Error Only Appears in Chrome?
- Can any other Plug-ins Play DRM-Protected Videos?
- How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error?
- Fixes for Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Wrapping Up
What is the Widevine Content Decryption Module?
The Widevine Content Decryption Module is an in-built feature of Chrome. The main use of this feature is to allow Chrome to play DRM-protected HTML5 video and audios. When you watch Netflix shows, this feature on Chrome helps you well.
Some users have also reported the Widevine Content Decryption Module not responding error on the Mozilla Firefox browser. Yes, in the latest Firefox update, they added an extension that helps users play Netflix movies. In the new update of Firefox, the extension comes by default. That means when you open the browser, the extension loads along.
That also means, when you remove or disable this browser extension, you are unable to play Netflix movies. Not only Netflix though, but you will also be unable to play videos from any streaming application. The new version of Firefox uses this Module to play videos. The older version of Firefox used to DRM protected content with the help of Adobe Flash.
What are the Reasons You the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error
Users when visiting a site that plays HTML5 videos, sometimes encounter the ‘Widevine content decryption module component not updated’ error. This error pops up due to various reasons. Let’s have a look at what the possible reasons might be.
- Maybe you have recently disabled this plugin
- Or you have removed the plug-in accidentally
- Maybe a virus has damaged the plug-in files
- The extension is not working for some reasons
When these errors come up, you can still browse the websites. But you won’t be able to play DRM protected audios and video files.
Is the Error Only Appears in Chrome?
Users generally report the ‘Widevine content decryption module update Chrome’ error on Chrome only. But other browsers like Firefox can also bring this error. Or, sometimes, users reported the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download error on Opera Mini.
Widevine Content Decryption Module Firefox
In the later versions of Firefox, they used the Adobe Primetime CDM to play Netflix videos. Since the latest version of Firefox 47, they are using the Google Widevine CDM plug-in. And like Chrome, the browser downloads the Widevine plug-in by default. When you access a website that requires this plugin, it will let you know. And when this plugin does not work, it will show you the “widevine content decryption module component not updated” error.
Widevine Content Decryption Module Opera Browser
The Opera browser does not support HTML5 videos. So, you can’t play Amazon Prime or Netflix videos on Opera. If the DRM-protected videos don’t require the HTML5 player, then you can play those videos with the Adobe Flash extension. So you will either have to install Adobe Flash or use another browser to play HTML5. Moreover, you can use Microsoft Edge to play HTML5 videos.
Can any other Plug-ins Play DRM-Protected Videos?
Widevine is the most popular plug-in that plays Widevine DRM-Protected Videos. But there are other third-party extensions as well that can play these types of videos. Like Microsoft Edge, it uses the Microsoft Silverlight extension that supports DRM-protected videos. And with Opera that uses Adobe Flash, you can play some DRM-protected content.
How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module Error?
There are many simple and great ways to avoid errors from the browser. Here I have included some standard and proven methods. Check them out in the section below.
By Updating the Widevine Content Decryption Module
In Chrome or other browsers, you can update the plugin to see if it fixes the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download error. To do that, follow these steps on Chrome-
- Open a new tab in Chrome and type chrome://components/ then hit Enter
- Find Widevine Content Decryption Module in the list and click on Check for update
- Then refresh the page and Chrome will show you a new message indicating your plug-in is now up-to-date
- Then reboot your computer and see if the problem is still there or not
If you are still facing the Widevine error, then follow the next method.
By Checking Your Antivirus Software
If the Widevine Content Decryption Module update is not working or failing, again and again, that can also be due to your antivirus. Your antivirus software can stop the browser from updating the plug-in.
So try to disable it first and then see if the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download error persists or not. You don’t have to go without letting an antivirus protect you. Just disable it temporarily and then try to install the Widevine Content Decryption Module again. Also, re-enable your antivirus as soon as you can after updating the plugin. It is not a good idea to leave yourself vulnerable to viruses and hackers.
Change Folder Permission of WidevineCdm
You can delete the current folder of WidevineCdm and then reinstall the plugin again. And to do that, you will have to log in to your computer using the admin privilege. Then, follow the below steps to change the folder permission.
- Launch Run and type “%userprofile%/appdata/local” and hit Enter
- You will find yourself in the particular folder by now
- And then you will have to visit Google > Chrome > User Data
- Find “WidevineCdm” from the folders option and right-click on it
- Select “Properties”
- Go to the Security tab
- And make sure the “Full control” properties has a tick next to it
- If you don’t have the full control, then click on Edit
- Uncheck the “Deny” option
- Save your changes and exit
- Then restart your computer
When you see errors like Widevine Content Decryption Module Download coming up, don’t do anything and uninstall Chrome. You need to reinstall that to find out if the uninstallation worked in your case or not. Because this method is pretty much simple and works most of the time.
If there is anything corrupt about the Widevine Content Decryption Module, then the uninstallation will fix the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow to reinstall Chrome-
- Bring in the Run box by typing Win+R
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and hit Enter
- In a pop-up window, you will find all the installed programs, Google Chrome included
- Click on Google Chrome and hit the Uninstall option
- After the uninstallation is complete, go to the official website of Chrome
- And download and install the browser again
- After the fresh installation, the Widevine Content Decryption Module Chrome error will be no more
Widevine is not Installed at all
Maybe the Netflix videos you are trying to watch, do not support your current browser extension. So make sure that you have the Widevine module extension installed. In that case, you can uninstall Chrome and when you reinstall it again, the browser extension will come with it. And you won’t need to try out any different method at all.
Fixes for Mozilla Firefox Browser
When encountering the Widevine Content Decryption Module error on Firefox browser, perform the below steps.
- Open your Firefox browser
- Go to the Menu option
- Select Add-ons
- Select Plugins from the add-on window
- Find ‘Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc’ in the list
- Choose “Always Activate”
- Restart your browser
Sometimes, it does not show in the Add-ons Manager after removing the add-on from your browser. Here are the steps you can follow to go on with fixing Widevine Content Decryption Module Download-
- Go to Options from the Menu section
- Click on General panel
- Select “Play DRM-controlled content’ under ‘Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content’
Now Firefox will download the Google Widevine Content Decryption Module extension. And after these steps, you will be able to play HTML5 DRM-protected Netflix and Amazon videos on your Firefox.
What is the use of the Widevine Content Decryption Module?
What are the other types of content description modules?
Do DLL files suddenly disappear?
How do I uninstall a program that creates dll files?
Can dll files be downloaded on my computer?
These methods will help you watch Netflix and Amazon videos easily on your Firefox and Google Chrome browser. That also means you will be able to eliminate the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download error in the future. So enjoy your favorite TV show without interruption. Also, don’t forget to ask your questions regarding the Widevine Content Decryption Module Download below.