The Windows Update Error 0x80070057 is super annoying. It restricts you from downloading the pending updates. It leaves you clueless about what’s going wrong. This is not a new Windows dilemma. Throughout decades since Windows XP, users have been fighting this error now and then. The good news is that the way to fix this has been improved over the years as well. This post is all about that. How to understand the Windows Update Error 0x80070057 and how to get rid of it easily and nicely?
- What is the Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
- When Does the Windows Update Error 0x80070057 Occur?
- How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
- 1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 2. Rename the Software Distribution Folder
- 3. Change the Windows Registry and Registry Key
- 4. Run the SFC Tool
- 5. Change the Decimal Symbol Settings
- 6. Change the Group Policy Interference
- 7. Access the Log
- Any Other Solution?
What is the Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
Installing updates for your Windows computer makes it easy to face specific errors. The Windows Update Error 0x80070057 is a BSOD error that can be troublesome to some users. There are various reasons why this error may occur on your computer. Depending on the circumstances, the error messages also vary. The most common error messages, in this case, might be “Unknown error”, “Unspecified parameters encountered,” and sometimes it says, “Required services are not running.”
Along with these error messages, you are unable to update your system. Many users have complained that this error prevents you from updating your OS. Either your system gets stuck in an updating process, or you are forced back to Windows 10 Build 1507.
When Does the Windows Update Error 0x80070057 Occur?
There are several reasons you might face Windows Update Error 0x80070057 on your PC. Let’s have a look at what those possible reasons could be.
- You are unable to back up your files because there is corruption.
- Your Windows System Reserved Partition is damaged
- Due to corrupt Windows registry or policy entries, you are unable to complete the Windows update process
- Your system will try to install the updates later if there is a temporary problem.
After the Anniversary Update of Windows, some users have encountered this error message-
“There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070057).”
There are some Quick and flexible ways you can tackle and bypass this error message. Regardless of the Windows version you are using, this annoying update error can come up to any version. I have included some fantastic ways to end Windows Update Error 0x80070057. However, they are also suitable for other versions of Windows.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
These methods are usable depending on the situation you encounter the error. That means you will have to identify your situation first and then diagnose the error. However, if you are confused about what situation applies in this context, then perform the methods in a sequential manner.
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
There is a Windows update troubleshooter feature that will help you diagnose and resolve any Windows problem. Hence, when you face the 0x80070057 update error, you should try this solution immediately.
- Open Settings by pressing Win+I
- Click on Update & Security and click on Troubleshoot from the left panel
- Click on Windows Update from the Getup and running section
- Then click on Run the troubleshooter
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
- After completing the education, restart your computer
This will help you fix the Windows Update Error 0x80070057. However, if you are still experiencing the same error, try to follow the next method.
2. Rename the Software Distribution Folder
Renaming the Software Distribution Folder can be the easiest way of dealing with Windows Not Responding errors. Let’s have a look at the steps below.
- Bring in the Command prompt window by typing cmd in the search box
- You will have to launch Command Prompt by choosing Run as the administrator
- Then you will have to type some commands and make sure to hit Enter after each
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
net start wuauserv
net start bits
- When the process is completed, you can open File Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Windows, and you will find a folder named SoftwareDistribution.bak.
- Your command prompt has been renamed it.
- On the same page, search for Services in the search bar and then open the best option
- Locate Windows Update and see if it is running or not
- If its status is not running, then right-click on it and choose Start
- The next step is to reboot your system and update your OS again
3. Change the Windows Registry and Registry Key
If the above methods didn’t work for you to resolve the Windows update error, then change the registry. Due to incorrect Windows registry, or values, you may encounter the Windows update error. Here I have shared some tips on how to edit your Windows registry items.
However, before proceeding, I would like to inform you that it is a painful process. A faulty change in your Windows registry can cause some damage to your system. Therefore, follow the steps in this section and edit your Windows registry. A wrong change in your Windows registry can cause some damage to your system. Therefore, follow the steps in this section and edit your Windows registry.
However, make sure only to edit the items I have mentioned here. Unless you know of this, could you not act until I say so?
- Open your Windows Notepad
- And then, you will have to type these commands on Notepad
Registry Editor Version 5.00
After this, close your window and restart your system. Alternatively, after typing the controls on your Notepad, you can also perform the following-
- Click on File > Save as…
- Set the file type to All Files
- Save the file with suffix.reg extension name on your Desktop
- When you run the file, you must agree with the prompts. And then, you will have to update your system again and check if that solves your error.
To change the registry key, you will have to perform these steps-
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > System Certificates
- Now, here a window will open up. You must right-click on the blank right side and find the New option.
- Click on the DWORD Value
- Then change the file name to CopyFileBufferedSynchronouslo
- Double-click on the file and change it to 1 and save the file
After this, your system will automatically restart itself. You will not face the same error due to the same reason. However, if you are still struggling, let’s follow another process.
4. Run the SFC Tool
Due to corrupt files on your system, you can encounter the Windows error code 0x80070057. An in-built Windows feature will help you scan your PC for corrupted files. Run SFC on your computer to detect error 0x80070057.
- Open the Command prompt by typing cmd in your Windows search box
- When the Command Prompt appears, click on Run as administrator.
- In the black window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter
- Your Window will now detect corrupted system files and will fix them
After the process is finished, you should try to check if you can update your system again.
5. Change the Decimal Symbol Settings
If the decimal symbol is not set to dot (.), you can find the same Windows update error. Luckily, you will be able to change the decimal symbol manually. Here I have given a quick guide to help you with the method.
- Go to Windows search, and type control panel
- After opening the Control Panel, set View by Category and click Clock and Region
- Under region, click on Change date, time, or number formats
- In the new window, click on Additional setting, and you will find the Formats tab
- You will have to put a dot (.) next to the Decimal symbol option
- Then click on Apply and click OK to save the changes
After performing these steps, you will have to restart your computer. And then, the Windows update error will no longer exist.
6. Change the Group Policy Interference
Not every user but many Windows users have altered their Windows group policy settings after the update. Interfering with the group policy editor can trigger the Windows update error. So, you will have to change the interference to the previous group policy.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R
- Type gpedit. msc in the Run box and click OK or hit Enter
- Then navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Not Configured
After this, restart your computer and try to update your Windows again.
7. Access the Log
Let’s look into your System File. Check the log; for that, you must run Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt, type findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt”
This process will help you copy the log details and will save it on your notepad on the desktop. In case your SFC couldn’t detect the damaged files, then you will find some entries that look like this-
In that case, you can manually try to fix the corrupted files. You can try to replace the corrupted files by using Command Prompt (Admin). You can replace the path and filename with a relatable file. And for that, you will have to use the sfcdetails.txt I showed you above. You will have to enter this command on your CMD window-
- Takedown /f path and filename
- Use this command to grant admin access to the corrupted files.
- icacls path and filename/grant administrators: F
- After entering this command, replace the system file using this command-
- Copy source file destination file
- If you have copied a system file from another Windows system with a USB, you will find the below command-
- copy f:\usbstick\jscript.dll c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
Any Other Solution?
The solutions I have given in this post are enough to get you out of the Windows Update Error 0x80070057 crisis. However, for many other reasons, you will have to contact a professional if you are still struggling with the same. Or, if you know of any other solution, tell us about same.
Relevant Guides And Errors