The DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error is often triggered as a common problem related to DirectX configuration. Just as the number of users complaining about the issue has increased, we have decided to help you all over the internet. Here is a quick review of the case, possible causes, and related fixes.
- What Does The Dxgi_Error_Device_Hung Error Code State?
- Leading Causes For DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Error
- How To Fix Dxgi_Error_Device_Hung Error?
What Does The Dxgi_Error_Device_Hung Error Code State?
According to Microsoft, the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error is a command communication issue that arises between the games and the system hardware. Although it is not a big issue, it becomes a frustrating big deal when it keeps crashing the Windows games. To fix this error, the first step is to know its causes.
Leading Causes For DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG Error
These error messages may appear on the screen due to a cluster of problems. The related causes include:
- Any of the Missing Files in the Registry Editor
- Outdated Drivers in GPU and DirectX
- Overclocking of CPU and GPU
- RAM issues
- Unsuitable Installation of the Game
These significant causes ultimately contribute to the dxgi_error_device_hung error. The most common games facing these errors include Call of Duty WW II ERROR and Battleground. The error is reported by the NVIDIA GeForce GPU and ATI Radeon users.
How To Fix Dxgi_Error_Device_Hung Error?
Now coming towards the simple fixes which can help solve your problem in no time.
1. Update the Graphics Driver
This is the best key to fix DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. The most reported cause of the error is an issue with outdated graphics drivers. These drivers need matching compatibility for proper functioning, while in some cases, the driver needs a roll-back to some previous version.
One of the most straightforward solutions for said error is to update your driver by the following steps.
1. Click the Win+R keys and launch the Run box
3. Type devmgmt.msc and click Enter
5. Once Device Manager is opened, find the Display Adapters option
6. Click Expand
7. Search your specific Graphics Card driver
7. Click the option “Update Driver.”
8. When the pop-up window appears, click on search automatically for updated driver software. It will show you updated Driver Software and let the driver explore all available updates.
Although manual updating is also possible, it is advisable to look for automatic updating to avoid further inconvenience.
2. Update DirectX
Dxgi_error_device_hung is an error related to DirectX so try updating DirectX with the following steps:
1. Open the Run Box by pressing the Win+R keys
2. Type dxdiag and click Enter
4. You will find DirectX Diagnostic Tool
5. Press the System tab and check the DirectX version information
For Windows 8 to 10, installing the OS will automatically install the driver, so DirectX drivers will also be updated after every Windows upgrade. For all older OS, you need to check the updates from the official site.
- Open the DirectX Diagnostic Tools
- Type check
- Click Enter so that you can find the relevant results.
- Check for all the Updates options
After performing the initial double clicks, the DirectX would be downloaded and installed with the latest version available.
3. Make Adjustments NVIDIA Control Panel
NVIDIA’s outdated GPU will result in different NVIDIA errors. To fix the Nvidia graphic card not detected issue, follow the steps below:
- Launch Control Panel
- Click on Hardware and then the Sound option
- Here, click the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Click on the 3D setting option
- Click on the “Adjust image setting” along with the preview option
- Click on the Advanced 3D Image Settings option
- Click Apply
- You will find “Manage 3D settings” below the Adjust image settings with a preview option on the left side of the page. Click this option
- Choose the option “Program Settings.”
- Click on Add option
- You will find a panel page displaying the .exe files of the game you want to customize.
- Select the game and select the preferred graphics processor to a high-performance NVIDIA processor
- Restart the device
4. Change the Sound Card
Sound Card can also be the reason to trigger Dxgi_error_device_hung. In this case, you can modify the sound card with the following steps:
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run box
- Type devmgmt.msc AND Press enter
- Open the Device Manager to choose the Sound, video, and game controllers
- Right-click this option to disable the High-Definition Audio Device
- Click Yes
- Restart the device
5. Roll Back the Drivers For Compatibility
Suppose the GPU driver NIVIDA is updated, but DirectX is incompatible with the updated version. In that case, the wisest solution is to roll back the driver to resolve the driver’s problems. Follow the steps:
1. Open the Device Manager
2. Click the Display adapters option to expand
3. Choose the graphics card (NVIDIA/ RADEON)
4. Select the option and choose Properties
5. In the Driver tab, opt for Rollback driver and select an appropriate reason
6. Select Yes
7. Restart the device after following these steps so that the system does not hang
6. Work on Overclocked GPU
When the clock frequency is exceeded and the performance is at maximum, it triggers the Dxgi_error_device_hung error. Most commonly, the game starts crashing after the overclocking issue. However, the easiest way to avoid this error is to restore the default settings with the following steps:
- Restart the system
- Enter BIOS. For this, you need to constantly click F2 (or relevant keys as per the specific motherboard) to enter BIOS
- Select the Advanced Chipset Features
- Choose the CPU Multiplier
- Select the option which restores the Default Settings
- Press the F10 key. It will Save all of the changes applied.
- Exit the page
- Restart the system
Although Overclocking is a suggested way to enhance the gaming experience, the problem can only be a warning sign of a defective hardware system. Although the gaming experience may be compromised without overclocking, it is undoubtedly beneficial for the device.
Handling these errors in gaming and technology is a worthy talent because it saves you from a lot of hustles, but it is only possible when you have the proper knowledge about the causes and fixes of the error.
Relevant Guides And Tips
- How To Fix Err Blocked By Response Error? [3 Easy Methods]
- How To Fix Windows 10 Not Responding Error In 2022? [6 Methods]
- How To Fix 0x0 0x0 Windows Error Code? (4 Methods)